zondag 21 november 2010

Low-income children


This article doesn’t tell us a thing about the relationship between parents and their kids, but it does give us usefull  information about the family situation of poor kids. It must be said that these statistics only apply to the United States, but I think that it can be a good indicator for Europe.

There are two influences that I’d like to discuss: family structure and race/ethnicity. The percent of children in low-income families isn’t influenced by the family structure, but it is highly influenced by the race/ethnicity. This first conclusion came as a real surprise to me, I used to think that kids with a single parent had a bigger chance of being poor. The second observation doesn’t come as a surprise, as racism is still a current phenomenon.

I must admit that most of these numbers really struck me, I had no idea they were this high. The most worrying evolution is the fact that the number of poor kids is increasing. This should really make it clear to the politicians that something has to be done to help these kids.

Annelies Troch



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten